Sunday, September 21, 2008

Obeying Thy Mother

Max was following me around while I made supper the other night, when suddenly he sat down and took off his shoes -- right there, smack dab in the middle of the kitchen. I told him that the shoes needed to be out of the way, and I asked him to go put them by the front door.

He readily agreed, grinned and said, "Oh!", gathered up his shoes...and took off.

This is what I found:


They really are "by the front door" -- aren't they?!

I know his class has been working on prepositions at school. They've been using the signs, AND pictures, AND words for exercises where they locate objects in the room or in a picture.

I got quite a kick out of his overly literal interpretation of my request, but also found myself wondering if that quirky response was actually due to a new level of comprehension. After all, "by" often means "beside", and "beside" often means "right next to" or even "sides touching" --right?

I think he could be on to something...

No comments: